Whether you are a prospective CI recipient, a current CI user, a family or friend of a CI user or simply just curious about technology and the marvels of medical science, I have put together a wide range list of links to information for you to read (with a few of my own posts peppered in there!). .
For Prospective CI Patients;
- https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta166 – Current UK guidelines for suitable candidates.
- http://www.earfoundation.org.uk/hearing-technologies/cochlear-implants/cochlear-implant-centres-in-the-uk – List of Cochlear Implant centres/hospitals in the UK.
- http://www.medel.com/uk/ – Med El Cochlear Implant options available.
- http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/intl/home – Cochlear options available.
- http://www.advancedbionics.com/ – Med-El Cochlear Implant options available.
- http://hebridestoday.com/2015/12/bbc-alba-offers-a-poignant-insight-into-cochlear-implants/ – Insight into cochlear implants (Scotland)
- http://www.oticonmedical.com/~asset/cache.ashx?id=43834&type=14&format=web – Step by step guide to Cochlear implantation from Oticon.
- http://www.bcig.org.uk/ – British Cochlear Implant Group with all manner of information on CI’s.
- https://theinvisibledisabilityandme.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/cochlear-implant-surgery – Shameless plug of my blog! My blog post on Cochlear implant surgery.
- https://theinvisibledisabilityandme.wordpress.com/2015/01/15/the-big-switch-on/ – Another shameless plug! My blog post on the CI switch on.
For CI Users;
- http://www.medel.com/uk/user-support/ – Links to user support forum, rehabilitation tools and general advice for Med El users.
- http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/uk/home/support – Links to user forum, rehabilitation tools and support material for Cochlear users.
- http://www.advancedbionics.com/com/en/support.html – Links to online support and educational material for Advanced Bionic users.
- https://theinvisibledisabilityandme.wordpress.com/2015/02/20/rehabilitation/ – Another one from me, my post on rehabilitation tools.
For The Curious;
- https://auditoryneuroscience.com/prosthetics/noise_vocoded_speech – Link to audio file explaining how implants sound to users.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00WOao4kpwM – YouTube audio file with closed captions on how a CI sounds.
- http://ais.southampton.ac.uk/cochlear-implants/what-does-a-cochlear-implant-sound-like/ – Simulation program of sounds that may help you to discover what an implant sounds like to a user.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3300870/High-tech-children-s-hearing-aids-help-Sensorineural-hearing-loss-helped-cochlear-implant.html – Cochlear implants can help sensorineural hearing loss.
- http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/au/home/connect/personal-stories – Personal stories from Cochlear users.
- http://www.medel.com/blog/cochlear-implant-story-claire-stancliffe/ – Personal stories from Med El users.
- http://www.advancedbionics.com/uk/en/your_journey/journeys.html – Personal stories from Advanced Bionic users.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3273853/Watch-emotional-moment-deaf-woman-hears-fianc-s-voice-time-having-amazing-implants-fitted.html – Heart-warming story and video on a 30 year old woman hearing through her CI for the first time.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3363220/Watch-amazing-moment-Britain-s-pregnant-deaf-woman-cochlear-implant-listens-heartbeat-unborn-child.html – Another lovely story on how a CI has changed someone’s life.
I hope that you find this information useful, as ever, if there is anything you wish to ask me or wish me to feature, please do get in touch via our About Me page.